CERN Tech in your Startup
CERN encourages the creation of spin-off companies and offers support to CERN personnel and external entrepreneurs seeking to establish a company based on CERN technology and/or know-how. A spin-off is a company whose activities are based, partially or wholly, on know-how and/or technology from CERN. To set the scope and details of CERN’s support to companies these companies, CERN has adopted a spin-off policy.
Support from the CERN Knowledge Transfer group:
1. Startup advice
- The KT Group's Entrepreneurship Team can advise spin-off and startup initiatives on:
- How to start a company based on CERN technology or knowledge
- Business plan development & market assessment
- How to and where to incorporate your company
- Funding mechanisms & strategies
- Writing applications & pitch coaching
- Access to internal and external training programmes
- Networking with innovation partners & contacts in local ecosystem
- Building your startup team & recruitment
- For CERN personnel, the group can provide information and advice on how to comply with CERN rules and regulations during company formation and operation.
2. Intellectual Property
- Intellectual property is an important aspect of starting and running a company. In line with its mission of maximising technological return to society, the Knowledge Transfer group supports CERN spin-offs and startups through a variety of different activities and mechanisms, including licensing of technologies.
3. Join a Business Incubation Centre (BIC) of CERN technologies
- CERN collaborates with a range of partners in the Member States to provide business incubation for entrepreneurs working on an idea related to CERN’s areas of expertise. Learn more about the network of CERN incubators here.