CernVM-FS is a web-based, global, and versioning file system optimized for software distribution. The file system content is installed on a central web server from where it can be mirrored and cached by other web servers and web proxies. File system clients download data and meta-data on demand and cache them locally. Data integrity and authenticity is ensured by cryptographic hashes and digital signatures. CernVM-FS is used, among others, by the LHC experiments for the distribution of 100 million files and directories of LHC experiment software onto tens of thousands of nodes distributed worldwide.
Large-scale computing, big data processing.
- Various Linux distributions (x86, AMD64, ARM) & Mac OS X (client) supported.
- Global-scale open source file system optimized for software distribution.
- Data transport via standard HTTP protocol.
- Data integrity secured by cryptographic hashes and digital signatures.
- File system level versioning.
- Data de-duplication.
- Transparent data compression/decompression and file chunking.
- Capability to hot patch the file system client.
- Capability to work in offline mode providing that all required files are cached.
- Possibility to use Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) compatible storage as a data backend.