Novel fabrication methods and analysis procedures for materials operating at the extremes of precision and endurance.
- Design, development and assessment of materials and coatings operating in extreme environments (temperature, magnetism, vacuum, and radiation)
- Decades of accumulated expertise in advanced material characterization and analysis
- Training of students and fellows in international collaborations since early 1990s
Facts & Figures:
- -271.3 °C: operating temperature of LHC magnets
- 693 MJ: the anticipated energy of the circulating High Luminosity LHC particle beams...equivalent to an Airbus A320 flying at 520 km/h, concentrated in the diameter of a pencil lead!
- Down to 10-12 mbar: pressure in LHC beam pipes (equal to the dark side of the moon)
- 8.33 T: magnetic field strength of LHC dipole magnets
Read more about Material Science here.