CERN Knowledge Transfer fund - Application & Selection Process
Current CERN Members of the Employed Personnel can apply.
In order to be considered for funding, projects should meet the following conditions:
- The project proposal must be approved by the Department Head;
- The salary cost of staff members involved in the project are covered by the Department;
- The project is based on CERN technology;
- The Intellectual Property (IP) required to execute the project is owned or co-owned by CERN and there is no conflict over the IP required to execute the project.
The grants can fund material or students and fellows to work on the proposed project .
Projects proposals must be submitted to KT (KT-Fund@cern.ch) and will be evaluated by the KT fund Selection Committee The selection committee is composed of CERN's department heads or their representatives. Please use the KT fund submission form covering the following elements:
- The CERN technology on which the project is based
- Schedule and key milestones
- Organisation (roles and responsibilities, key competencies)
- Overall financial planning and requested budget
Market potential or user community:
- Field of application
- Competing technologies
- Identified and/or potential commercial partners, identified user community
Project holders may request the support of KT experts in market analysis and to help assess the dissemination potential of the related technology.
To request support, please write to KT-Fund@cern.ch
If you wish to submit a proposal we invite you to follow the below listed steps:
- Fill in the CERN Knowledge Transfer fund submission form
- Contact the Knowledge Transfer group to have your proposal evaluated regarding its eligibility
- After approval of from the Knowledge Transfer group, please print and sign your proposal and send it back to the KT-Fund@cern.ch
- The Knowledge Transfer group will contact your department to receive your Department Head's signature.
After approval of your Department Head, you will be invited to the next CERN KT fund Selection Committee meeting. The selection committee is composed of CERN's department heads or their representatives
During this meeting you will need to:
- give a short oral presentation on your proposal (usually around 5-10 min);
- answer questions from the Committee members concerning your proposal.
Should you be unable to present yourself you can nominate a replacement.
After your presentation the Selection Committee will evaluate your proposal based on the following aspects:
- Proposal Quality: Overall quality of contents and structure of proposal/presentation, presence of committed internal contributors, dependency on KT Fund availability (high score for projects which will not happen without the KT Fund).
- Dissemination Probability: Likelihood that the outcome of the project will be used outside High Energy Physics, better if substantiated by the presence of committed external contributors (other labs or industry).
- Possible Impact: Estimation of the potential return for the Organization in terms of image and/or IP exploitation rights.
- Scientific / Technical value: Usefulness of the development for the Organization and for other partner laboratories active in High Energy Physics.
- Potential to generate revenues: High score for projects which have a high probability to generate a financial return for the KT Fund.
The Selection Committee will rate every proposal and will come to a final conclusion which of all submitted projects they estimate worth being funded. The applicants will be informed about their decision by e-mail a few weeks after the KT Fund Selection Committee Meeting.
To request support or in case of questions please write to KT-Fund@cern.ch