CERN encourages the creation of spin-off companies and offer support to CERN personnel and external entrepreneurs seeking to establish a company based on CERN technology and/or know-how. A spin-off is a company whose activities are based, partially or wholly, on know-how and/or technology from CERN.
Support from the CERN Knowledge Transfer group:
1. Intellectual Property
- Intellectual property is an important aspect of starting and running a company. In line with its mission of maximising technological return to society, the Knowledge Transfer Group supports CERN spin-offs and start-ups through a variety of different activities and mechanisms, including licensing of technologies.
2. Spin-off advice
- The KT Group actively supports the creation of new companies and can advise spin-off and start-up initiatives on:
- Business plan development
- Access to internal and external training programmes
- Networking with innovation partners
- For CERN personnel, the group can provide information and advice on how to comply with CERN rules and regulations during company formation and operation.
3. Join a Business Incubation Centre (BIC) of CERN technologies
- CERN collaborates with a range of partners in the Member States to provide business incubation for entrepreneurs working on an idea related to CERN’s areas of expertise. Learn more about the network of CERN incubators here.